Milosevic to challenge his arrest and detention

 online.ie Jul 2001

Slobodan Milosevic is to ask a Dutch court to declare that his handover
to the UN war crimes tribunal and his continued detention are illegal.

Canadian lawyer Christopher Black told the Hague an action would be
taken through the Dutch courts within the next few weeks.

Mr Black said Dutch law offered unspecified remedies in cases where a
person is arrested illegally and brought into the Netherlands.

"And we intend to use that about his position with the ICTY," Mr Black,
one of several members of Milosevic's legal team, said, referring to the
International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

Mr Black also said Milosevic's lawyers would challenge the authority of
the court "because the UN Security Council has no authority to create
it."

The council established the tribunal in 1993 to prosecute cases of
atrocities allegedly committed during Yugoslav wars of the past decade.

"The general strategy is that we will use every forum outside the ICTY
to contest his detention before the ICTY," Mr Black added. "The Dutch
court, the EU Commission, probably actions in the UN General Assembly,
and his position before the ICTY."

Milosevic was transferred from Belgrade to the tribunal last month to
face charges stemming from his crackdown against ethnic Albanians in
Kosovo two years ago.

http://www.online.ie/news/latest_world/viewer.adp?article=1407820

Miroslav Antic,
http://www.antic.org/