On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM, bso...@epinfante.com
<bso...@epinfante.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Once again here's yet another question for zpool configuration,and hope to
> read your comments soon.
> Now going to the business I have a system with the following specs:
> - 32 GB ram,8cpus
> - 2 hba's with 512mb ram each with battery
> - 2 jbod's with 12 disks (SATA 1Tb)
>
> The purpose for this system is to host a few virtual machines (xen based)
> over NFS and to provide ISCSI volumes to a windows vm to host a ,small, sql
> server instance.
>
> Now I've thought of having 2 zpools:
>
> -  a 6 x 2 mirror (12 drives used) to be used by the iscsi volume for the
> sql database
> - a 2 x 5 raidz (10 drives used) to be used to hold the vm's in a NFS share
> - add one drive to each zpool as a hot-spare
>
> Since I have 2 hba's I would configure each vdev as having one disk per hba.
> I don't have any ssd to use as a zil device,but I think that the cache on of
> the hba would help on that.
>
> Given the above scenario ,how does it looks like the purposed configuration?

I wouldn't advise you to use raidz for anything that requires
performance (unless you can aggregate enough vdev's). If your space
requirements for the Xen VMs can be met by using mirrors, go for it.

You best option is to set up a test environment, mount the iSCSI
volumes and NFS shares and test with something like iozone.

Everybody here can suggest dozens of different configurations but in
the end it's all about what you require.

--
Giovanni