Thanks for the prompt reply. I've changed the HomeBean's binding to be "/home" and have this index.jsp page:

<%@page pageEncoding="UTF-8" contentType="text/html;charset=utf-8" language="java" %>
<jsp:forward page="/home"/>

The HomeBean has it's view in /WEB-INF/jsp/home.jsp .

This now allows urls like "/testme" to not match the url pattern for the home page. These requests are being handled by the 404 page defined in my web.xml.

Thanks for the help,

Chris