Well I can see if I can work up a simple test case. My site isn't
super-complicated, I don't think. I just invoke layout-render inside
of layout-components in many places, sometimes more than two deep.
There are also a number of <jsp:include> calls inside of
layout-components, and some of those call layout-render too.  I also
use many tag files, and many of those call stripes tags. Overall I'm
not sure exactly what goes wrong, but generally the effect is that
layouts are just not rendered at all.

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.