There's a custom mechanism that creates security tokens.  I'm not really
sure how it works as this is a large application and the security framework
was developed by another group.

I'm guessing that conceptually, a proper solution to "secure" file links
would involve custom URLs that incorporate a security token string that are
only valid for the current user in the current session.