11/20/2002 2:46:08 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I think it is time to start packaging tools and generators with
>Struts to help the developer -- either as standalone packages
>included for convenience, or integrated into the architecture of
>the package.

As it stands, there is already a very healthy "add-in" marketplace
for Struts. I think this is one reason why Struts has become so
popular, and anything we do should be with an eye toward expanding
the universe of Struts extensions.

Personally, I am vastly impressed by the community support for
Eclipse plug-ins. I wold very much like to help create the same
sort of environment for Struts. I am also vastly impressed by the
way some Maven-based packages (like Jelly) are able to
automatically download whatever JARs they need.

What I would like to work toward is an environment where there is
a distinct Struts core, accompanied by a number of easy-to-install
standard options (Tiles, Validator, Struts-EL, Console, and so
forth).

Of course, any third-party options would be just as easy to
install as the "standards" maintained by the Struts Committers. An
important idea would be that when we provide standard options, we
are also demonstrating how others can plug-in their own options
instead.