On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:11:12 -0500
> From: Erik Hatcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]
>
> XDoclet already ships with builtin struts-config.xml generation,
> validatio.xml generation, and Struts form bean generation (from entity
> beans, and maybe for value objects?).

Based on which Erik makes a pretty interesting case that DynaBeans don't
add a tremendous amount of value :-).  I still like them as the basis for
future work towards more "dynamic" dynamic form beans, where the set of
properties is not predefined, but auto-generation of ActionForm subclasses
does indeed reduce the delta value.

> I'm not sure what is needed to make the presentation of this stuff
> better, but its all there for the taking and works very nicely.  It
> would be good for the Struts pieces to be maintained by the Struts team
> though.

I think that makes sense as well.  Over time, I'd like to see us
accumulate low-level generation tools (for both Java code and the
appropriate configuration files) specific to Struts in the Struts project
itself, and then expose interfaces to easily invoke these tools via
command line scripts, Ant/Maven tasks, and/or plugin APIs for IDEs.