Then I'm not concerned about it throwing an exception if I get a garbage
value, or maintaining the garbage value for the response.  I still do
bounds checking of course if that's necessary...it's just nice to have
the String to int conversion happen implicitly.  Same with booleans and
checkboxes.

Now I guess if I decide to change my form to use a text input instead of
a drop-down, then I have to go back and change the form bean and action.
But most of the time, that's not even a remote possibility--like if
you're choosing an item from a list and it's sending the primary key
back when you submit.

In general, though, I don't usually bother making "pretty" error
messages for the types of errors that could have only originated from a
buggy or malicious client request; I just throw an exception.
Presumably the response isn't going to be displayed directly to the user
anyway if they're using a GUI client or something like that.  Is there
any other reason to use only String properties in that case?

Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863