    Martin> Back around the time that Craig suggested the "var" attribute, I expressed
    Martin> preference for using parallel RT and EL taglibs:

    Martin> http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg05792.html

    Martin> As a recap, the reasons I prefer this approach are:

    Martin> a) We can make any attribute that can accept an RT expr today accept an EL
    Martin> expr. This will give us more flexible EL-enabled tags while not confusing
    Martin> the user with a mixture of RT attributes and EL attributes on a single tag.
    Martin> Of course, where the RT tags have n/p/s today, the EL tags would have a
    Martin> "var" attribute instead.

    Martin> b) It matches the approach taken by JSTL itself, with parallel RT and EL
    Martin> taglibs.

I certainly agree with this.  That is how I'm proceeding with my experimental
library, although in my preliminary work, I'm making "struts-el.jar" into an
extension of "struts.jar" (requiring its presence), as opposed to being an
entirely separate library.  We should be able to release it as a standalone
library later.