Steve Raeburn wrote:

I'm not singling Vic out for this (honest) but...

The standard advice we are now giving everyone is "use JSTL", which I
wholeheartedly agree with and have said myself. However, I think we need to
make sure that we still adequately support non-JSTL solutions and continue
to consider bug fixes/enhancements to Struts tags EVEN where it would
duplicate JSTL functionality because Struts still supports JSP
1.1/Servlet2.2.

I haven't considered whether this particular enhancement would fall into the
category of something we should do, it just prompted me to raise the issue.

If we've reached the stage where the recommendations we are making *require*
JSTL, then I think it's time to be honest about the required platform for
Struts and up it to 1.1/2.3.

I agree the html/logic/bean tags are still supported just not actively enhanced, unless a patch is supplied.
Also is the change is simple that would aid in debugging, or the ability of a user to extend a tag if they are
in a Servlet 2.2/Jsp 1.1 world.

Thoughts?

Steve

-