See answers below.

Yes, but you'll need to modify the MenuBase.java file to add getters and
setters for you r new attributes.

> 2) Is JavaScript a requirement?  I'm primarily interested in
>     tabbed menus so don't need the flashy stuff.

No, if you use the Velocity Displayer - you'll have full control over
all the code that's rendered.  You can just spit out plain ol' HTML if
that's what you choose.  I use JavaScript in a lot of the menus because
it's often easier to use it.

> 3) What's the heuristic for highlighting a menu item (tab in my case)?

The most effective way is to do URL matching - where you try to match
the current URL with URLs defined in menu-config.xml.  I've done this
with JavaScript for the most part - but I've also done it using VTL in a
Velocity template.  Another method is to use cookies.  This is built
into some displayers (i.e. Tabbed and List).  I guess the question is -
how would you normally do this if you weren't using Struts Menu and you
just had a included menu.jsp file?

Matt