Matt,
thanks for the very quick response.  I have moved past this problem. I had a typo in
listner declaration in web.xml.  However, now I am getting the following exception:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /menu.jsp(0,0) This absolute uri
(http://struts-menu.sf.net/tag) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files
deployed with this application

Here is my meun.jsp and taglibs.jsp
menu.jsp ===================================================

<%@ include file="/taglibs.jsp"%>

<menu:useMenuDisplayer name="ListMenu">
    <menu:displayMenu name="ToDoListMenuFile"/>
    <menu:displayMenu name="ToDoListMenuEdit"/>
    <menu:displayMenu name="CaseDetailMenuCase"/>
    <menu:displayMenu name="Standalone"/>
</menu:useMenuDisplayer>

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>

<%@ taglib uri="http://struts-menu.sf.net/tag"; prefix="menu" %>