On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Michael McCafferty wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build struts from source, and having an unexpectedly
> difficult time of it. I have downloaded the source code from CVS, and
> followed the directions listed on
> http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation.html without success.
>
> I have copied the $STRUTS/build.properties.sample to build.properties
> and edited existing entries accordingly. I have also copied
> $STRUTS/build-webapp.xml to build.xml and edited existing values
> accordingly.  For all prerequesite properties listed in build-webapp.xml
> (lines 29-86) I am specifying a command line option to "ant."
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm coming to the conclusion
> that the sample configuration files require a LOT of customization in
> order to build a vanilla version of struts from source. I'd love to see
> copies of build.xml and build.properties that someone has used to
> successfully compile the software.

You should not have to modify *anything* in build.xml, build-webapp.xml,
or build-webapps.xml in order to build Struts from source.  All of the
necessary values are inherited from properties you set inside your
build.properties file.

The minimal set of properties you need to set in your
"build.properties" file are:

  jdbc20ext.jar - Set this to the full pathname to your
                  "jdbc2_0-stdext.jar" file (download the
                  JDBC 2.0 Optional Package).

  servlet.jar   - Set this to the full pathname to your
                  "servlet.jar" file (normally the one you
                  got with your servlet container).

For the rest of my setup, here's what I did:

* Downloaded Ant 1.3 and installed it (and placed $ANT_HOME/bin
  on my PATH)

* From the same place, grab Ant's "optional.jar" file and
  place it in $ANT_HOME/lib.

* Download JAXP/1.1 and put all three JAR files on my CLASSPATH.

* Type "ant" to compile Struts, or "ant dist" to create a mirror
  of the binary distribution.

If you are having to change other properties, then we should try to
simplify the build scripts so that you don't have to.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael McCafferty
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Craig McClanahan