"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

[ snipped ]

> You should not have to modify *anything* in build.xml, build-webapp.xml,
> or build-webapps.xml in order to build Struts from source.  All of the
> necessary values are inherited from properties you set inside your
> build.properties file.

Many thanks for the prompt responses from this list. I'm impressed.

I don't know if I accidentally deleted the file yesterday (more likely,
also more embarrasing, than an unreported error while checking the files
out from CVS), but the set of files I was working with did not contain a
"build.xml" file, which was the ultimate source of my confusion and
failure.

I had checked out the files via anonymous CVS and was using the
resulting directory as a clean template. I'd copy the tamplate to a work
space, try a build, analyze the problem, blow away and recopy the
template, and repeat. But since the template did not contain a copy of
build.xml, I was under the impression that I needed to create/modify my
own, and spent a great deal of time on that. Learned a lot about "ant,"
though, so I guess it was a Learning Experience ;-)

Thanks again for the assistance,

--
Michael McCafferty
Senior Server Engineer