I don't have a direct answer for you Rob, but what we did was to create a
custom tag that looks for errors in all scopes. Once it is rendered, then it
removes it from all scopes. This allows me to propogate error from page X to
page J by placing them in the session scope. There may be some caveats, but
it has worked pretty well so far.

We are migrating to Struts now and in doing so are starting to use the
Maybe it, (<html:errors/>) could be customized so that it supports the
transitive functionality you and most likely others need. Maybe have an
attribute that defines the scope in which the errors may reside <html:errors
scope="[application, session, request, page, all]" /> with the default being
the request scope.

Once again, sorry for not providing a direct answer, but maybe the ideas
presented above will help.

robert