Neither of the Actions use validation.  The attribute is not even
defined in the struts-config.xml for the actions.

The actual struts-config.xml entries for the two actions are:

<action path="/viewResource"
         type="gen.ViewResourceAction"
         name="ViewResourceForm"
         scope="request">

         <forward name="Composites"
                 path="/do/viewComposite"/>
</action>

<action path="/viewComposite"
         type="gen.ViewCompositeAction"
         name="ViewResourceForm"
         scope="request">

         <forward name="view/Composite"
                 path="/WEB-INF/pages/viewComposite.jsp"/>
</action>

The actual flow is as follows:
- make a request to viewResource
- forward to viewComposite (which is where the error is generated and
   saveErrors(request, errors) is called and query string parameters
   are changed.
- it is then forwarded to viewResource again (but with the different
   parameters)
- then forward viewComposite again which (no new errors occur this
   time)
- then forwards to viewComposite.jsp where the error message should
   appear but by this time the <html:errors/> don't seem to have anything
   in them.

I've triple checked to ensure that no more errors are effecting the
request after the initial errors are added and it all happens in a
single request.