If this is a form which you've declared in your config file, and it's associated with this action and you're forwarding to a JSP, you really needn't bother sticking it into any scope. Struts will do this for you. Just populate the form and return an ActionForward and let Struts do it's thing.

... so far as your error is concerned, I can't imagine why you're receiving it. You did specify a 'name="formName"' as an attribute to this action, right? That's how you make the association between the action and the form. I believe this value would probably be null if you didn't specify that attribute - and I can see where that would generate an error.

Ah - yes. I see your action declaration now. Add in 'name="customerDetailsForm"' to your <action line. That will build the association for you. Once you've done this, you no longer have to worry about creating the form ... or anything like that - and it's the *only* way you're going to get Struts to populate the form for you automatically (why would it populate something if it doesn't know there is something to populate?).

Good luck!

Mark Conlin wrote:

I would like to pre-populate a form bean for an edit screen.
I have spent the last hour or two reading the archives and still I have
failed to find the help I need.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have an Action class CustomerAccountDetailsPreEditAction that
pre-populates my form.
However, I do not know how to place the form back into the session or
request so that the jsp page can find it and use it to display values.

request.setAttribute(mapping.getName(), myForm);
session.setAttribute(mapping.getName(), myForm);
Both result in an error.

Here is the action declaration:
<action path="/customer.customerAccountDetails.pre.edit"

type="com.yordata.action.customer.CustomerAccountDetailsPreEditAction">
<forward name="success"
path="customer.edit_accountdetails"/>
</action>

Here is the form declaration:
<form-bean name="customerDetailsForm"
type="com.yordata.form.CustomerDetailsForm"/>

Thanks for your help,
Mark

--
Eddie Bush