You have to use the <html:form> tag : it's role is to find the formbean in
some scope or create a new one. It allows your HTML form to display values
that are stored in the formbean. Struts uses the <html:form> "action"
attribute to get the ActionMapping, and so get the formBean name and scope
(as defined in struts-config.xml).

This formBean is stored into page scope for other <html:xxx> tags under
default "org.apache.struts.taglib.html.BEAN" name. Using <html:text> "name"
attribute will override this behaviour by telling <html:text> another name
to search in scope. This can be useful to build a form with values from
other beans, but this beans have to exist in scope !

Nico.