Do you have any bean tags in your jsp page i.e. bean:message key="blah.blah" if so this will attempt to read the resources files i.e. It's the tags that are doing it not the ActionServlet

Dan Allen wrote:

I seem to be getting a little further along, but I am still stuck on
this process.  If I request a *.jsp page, my Application.properties
file is being read at some point.  I don't see how the Servlet can
know where to read the file if ActionServlet is not handling this
request and thus reading struts-config.xml (unless it message bundle
is retrieved by the taglib itself by use of the RequestUtils).

The way I understand it, the Generic Servlet reads the web.xml file,
determines the pattern (*.do) and then executes the action (which
maps to org.apache.struts.ActionServlet) and passes itself into it.
So if a regular old index.jsp file is request, how in the WORLD is
it getting access to the application.properties file and reseting
the form bean??  (I know the reset() method is getting called on my
form bean because if I change the reset() method, a request to
index.jsp will show the default values I assigned).

After ActionServlet starts running with the process, I pretty much
understand everything that is going on.  It is before ActionServlet
get's the handoff that seems like magic to me.

Dan