I'm not using Struts for the self registration.  I'm protecting all of the
struts actions (/do/*), so I cannot use struts w/o logging in.  I cannot
login if I don't have a username...

-----Original Message-----
From: Vic Cekvenich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 2:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using the Validator outside of Struts

basicPortal has self register example code, w/validation using Struts
JSP, you can click join, on basebeans.com and then click login (and then
look under the monkey, I kill myslef).
So then you have a default role (you can aprove content if you are not
admin role).

I can't imagine where you might be stuck, but here is the jsp:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/basicportal/bP/WEB-INF/portle
ts/memberSec/User.jsp

.V

4
>54)
>     [java]     at
>org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validateField(Validator.java:544)
>     [java]     at
>org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:582)
>     [java]     at
>com.comcast.cable.dmc.itd.cct.webapp.action.RegistrationServlet.execute(Reg
>strat
>ionServlet.java:146)
>
>From the following code:
>
>        ValidatorResources resources = new ValidatorResources();
>
>        InputStream rules =
>
>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml");
>
>        ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, rules);
>
>               InputStream custom =
>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validator-rules-custom.xm
>");
>
>               ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, custom);
>
>        InputStream forms =
>
>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validation.xml");
>
>        ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, forms);
>
>        // Create a validator with the userForm
>        Validator validator = new Validator(resources, "userFormEx");
>
>        // Tell the validator which bean to validate against.
>        validator.addResource(Validator.BEAN_KEY, userForm);
>
>        // Validate the checkoutForm object and store the validation
results
>        try {
>            // Execute the validation rules
>146:        ValidatorResults results = validator.validate(); <<-- Error
>occurs here
>
>            if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
>                log.debug(results.getResultValueMap());
>            }
>        } catch (ValidatorException ex) {
>            // Log the validation exception
>            log.warn("A validation exception occurred", ex);
>        }
>
>The validator is working fine in my Action classes, just not outside.  I'm
>trying to use it in a servlet that's not an Action because all my actions
>(/do/*) are protected by form-based authentication.  This servlet is used
>for users to self-register.  If anyone has an elegant solutions to
>self-register (not using a servlet), let me know.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt

Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,
1-800-917-JAVA

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a> and project recovery
in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Content Management</a>  basicPortal
sofware
Best practice<a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Support</a> v.1.1 helper
ScafflodingXPress