From: Vic Cekvenich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 2:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using the Validator outside of Struts

I do same thing. take a look at my WEB.XML in web CVS.

Raible, Matt wrote:

>I'm not using Struts for the self registration.  I'm protecting all of
the
>struts actions (/do/*), so I cannot use struts w/o logging in.  I
cannot
>login if I don't have a username...

java:

>4
>

>>54)
>>    [java]     at
>>org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validateField(Validator.java:54
4)
>>    [java]     at
>>org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:582)
>>    [java]     at
>>com.comcast.cable.dmc.itd.cct.webapp.action.RegistrationServlet.execut
e(Reg

>>strat
>>ionServlet.java:146)
>>

>>From the following code:
>

>>       ValidatorResources resources = new ValidatorResources();
>>
>>       InputStream rules =
>>
>>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml"
);

>>       ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, rules);
>>
>>              InputStream custom =
>>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validator-rules-cust
om.xm

>>");
>>
>>              ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources,
custom);

>>       InputStream forms =
>>
>>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validation.xml");
>>
>>       ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, forms);
>>
>>       // Create a validator with the userForm
>>       Validator validator = new Validator(resources, "userFormEx");
>>
>>       // Tell the validator which bean to validate against.
>>       validator.addResource(Validator.BEAN_KEY, userForm);
>>
>>       // Validate the checkoutForm object and store the validation
>>

>results
>

>>       try {
>>           // Execute the validation rules
>>146:        ValidatorResults results = validator.validate(); <<--
Error
>>occurs here
>>
>>           if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
>>               log.debug(results.getResultValueMap());
>>           }
>>       } catch (ValidatorException ex) {
>>           // Log the validation exception
>>           log.warn("A validation exception occurred", ex);
>>       }
>>
>>The validator is working fine in my Action classes, just not outside.
I'm
>>trying to use it in a servlet that's not an Action because all my
actions
>>(/do/*) are protected by form-based authentication.  This servlet is
used
>>for users to self-register.  If anyone has an elegant solutions to
>>self-register (not using a servlet), let me know.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt

Conte

>>t;(Ge
>>nericServlet.java:204)
>>   [junit]     at
>>com.comcast.cable.dmc.itd.cct.webapp.action.RegistrationServlet.execut
e(Lja

>>ax.se
>>rvlet.http.HttpServletRequest;Ljavax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;
)V(Re

>>istrationServlet.java:12
>>2)
>>
>>Full code:
>>
>>       ValidatorResources resources = new ValidatorResources();
>>
>>       InputStream rules =
>>
>>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml"
);

>>       ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, rules);
>>
>>       InputStream forms =
>>
>>getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/validation.xml");
>>
>>       ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources, forms);
>>
>>       // Create a validator with the userForm
>>       Validator validator = new Validator(resources, "userFormEx");
>>
>>       // Tell the validator which bean to validate against.
>>       validator.addResource(Validator.BEAN_KEY, userForm);
>>
>>       // Validate the checkoutForm object and store the validation
>>

>results
>

>>       try {
>>           // Execute the validation rules
>>           ValidatorResults results = validator.validate();
>>
>>           if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
>>               log.debug(results.getResultValueMap());
>>           }
>>       } catch (ValidatorException ex) {
>>           // Log the validation exception
>>           log.warn("A validation exception occurred", ex);
>>       }
>>
>>Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt

Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,
1-800-917-JAVA

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a> and project
recovery in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Content Management</a>  basicPortal
sofware
Best practice<a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Support</a> v.1.1 helper
ScafflodingXPress