----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, David Geary wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:22:17 -0600
> > From: David Geary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags
> >
> > On Thursday, Jul 10, 2003, at 15:18 America/Denver, Mark Galbreath
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Is this the same David Geary that wrote, among others, "Advanced
> > > JavaServer
> > > Pages?"
> >
> > Yes.
>
> David was also a member of the JSR-52 expert group (JSTL), and he's on the
> JSR-127 expert group (JavaServer Faces) as well.

I have been reading "Graphic Java" for years. I think its author is the same
David. Excellent book on Swing I ever read.

> I've never been a fan of having SQL tags (especially the updating ones) in
> JSTL, for all the obvious reasons.  However, there are a whole bunch of
> developers in the world who are used to model 1 style development (VB,
> PHP, PERL, Cold Fusion, ...), and it would not be fair for expert groups
> to ignore the needs of those developers, simply because we might not like
> what people will do with the result.  This was a case where the group
> creating the standard was actually listening to what users wanted.

In real world, the resouces in web servers could be partitioned into two
categories, document oriented resources - static images, html, and JSP pages
in model 1, and application oriented resources - JSP pages for web
applications in model 2 (or MVC pattern). What we found is that
the business requirements for model 1 will never go away, even after
20 years. The decision from the EG is legitimate. The difficult thing is
how to justify which model (1 or 2) is more suitable for a business
problem (for less experienced developers)

> Beyond that, it *is* feasible to separate business logic and presentation
> logic into separate JSP pages, and enjoy the fact that the page is
> automatically recompiled without needing the app to be restarted.  Couple
> that with the fact that Struts lets you say that a particular <action>
> really does a RequestDispatcher.include(), and you've suddenly got the
> ability to program Actions as JSP pages ... sort of a mind twisting
> approach, but it seems like it would be feasible in scenarios where the
> business logic is simple enough to be scripted in JSP tags that are only
> used for their side effects, not for their output (which would get thrown
> away anyway when Struts ultimately forwards to the presentation JSP).  In
> such a scenario, having SQL access tags would make a lot of sense.

Separating business logic and presentation logic into view pages and
control pages is a done deal. In our pratice, the control pages never output
anything. So what we are expecting now is a set of good controller tags
to be integrated into our product. This really opens up a new field for
the JSTL EG to consider more than just SQL access. Concepts could
be advanced in a suprising way :-)

> > david
>
> Craig

Jing