Steps:

1) Use a regular expression to check that the url fits the pattern you are looking for
(here's a good tutorial on regexes:
http://www.zvon.org/other/PerlTutorial/Output/index.html). You can do this directly
with the validator framework if you're using it, or later from the action.
2) Open a java.io or java.nio connection to that url to check that it is valid. Look
into File and/or InputStream for more info on how to do this.

You should never put any logic in the form bean itself (it should remain a plain dumb
form bean). Put this code in a library and make a call to it from your action.

--
If education is too expensive, try ignorance.