From: Prashanth.S [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 10:04 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: URL validation with struts???

Hi all,
How abt throwing MalformedURLException in the service method inside action
class??
Than no need to do validation in action form??
Is it correct??
Help??
Thanks
Prashanth

Dichotomy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Steps:

1) Use a regular expression to check that the url fits the pattern you are
looking for (here's a good tutorial on regexes:
http://www.zvon.org/other/PerlTutorial/Output/index.html). You can do this
directly with the validator framework if you're using it, or later from the
action.
2) Open a java.io or java.nio connection to that url to check that it is
valid. Look into File and/or InputStream for more info on how to do this.

You should never put any logic in the form bean itself (it should remain a
plain dumb form bean). Put this code in a library and make a call to it from
your action.

--
If education is too expensive, try ignorance.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
"Prashanth.S" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to upload a resource present at a particular location by making
user enter a valid URL...How can i do URL name validation using struts???Is
there anything to do so??Do i need to do this in action form or action
class??[what User entered is a valid url i.e,both name as well as resource
present at that url)