hm. In my ActionClass I have something like this:

ActionMessages messages = new ActionMessages();
String text = "\n: " + getCriticalDate.toString() + " -->";

text = text + getTotalHours() + " hours.\n";

messages.add("critical.schedule.text", text);

saveMessages(request, messages);

In my jsp:

<logic:messagesPresent>
  <script language="javascript">
     alert("<c:out value="${message}" />")
 </script>
<logic:messagesPresent>

This does not work: I get a javascript error (unterminated string constant).
However everything works and the text is being displayed when I remove the
\n from the text.

the evaluated text string looks something like this if I print the text
string to the console (seems ok):

The following dates are critical:
20.03.2004: 5 hours.

I want this format exactly being displayed using the alert function. I
cannot see where the problem is. any idea?

thx,
Dirk