Hello Fer et al,

        Meeus mentions (as you point out as well), that this formula (1), which
is derived from the well known local horizontal altitude (h) formula (2)
and is a special case where h=0, computes the hour angle (Ho)
corresponding to the time of rise or set of the sun (celestial object).
I now see what you meant by the length of the half day arc.

(1) cos(Ho) = - tan(lat) * tan(dec)

(2) sin(h) = sin(lat)*sin(dec) + cos(lat)*cos(dec)*cos(H)

        For those interested in an accurate means of calculating sunrise,
transit and sunset I'd recommend chap. 14 of Astronomical Algorithms by
Jean Meeus.

Best,

Luke