Thanks for the very detailed explaination Luke.  So is the answer 27.2%
brightness difference between the June Moon and the Dec. Moon?  That would
mean the paper was wrong.  The newspaper also predicted the January Moon
would be even brighter (something you didn't cover).
    Another thing that bothered me is after the astronomical explanation,
they author of the article interviewed an astrologer, who basically told him
the moon was in Cancer (it may have been another constellation for you
sticklers), and the brightness didn't matter.  Then he rambled off general
predictions depending on your astrological sign.  It's hard to believe we are
about to enter the 2000s...Frankly, I'm disappointed.  No flying cars, and
astrologers are still taken seriously.
~Troy