Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I enjoyed searching for sundials in SW France this
spring. We rented a "gite" near Figac and used the SAF publication "Cadrans
Solaires Francais Catalogue" to supplement our Michelin maps and guides.
The most memorable dials that we found were not in the catalogue: the
memorial dial for the Tour de France cyclist Fabio Casartelli marking where
he crashed in the Pyrenees on 18 July 1995; the 1792 engraved stone VD dial
on church in the village of Camburat, a silent witness to the capture of
Robespierre in 1794 prior to his execution by guillotine in Figac in 1794.

As you know well from your Roman studies, France has a depth of history
that we lack in North America. Hartford, the site of the NASS conference
was better than what we have in the west. Fred Sawyer led us to an
excellent dial on a classic New England village church founded in 1761.

Roger Bailey
N 51  W 115