At 10:59 PM 10/16/99 +0100, Jean-Paul Cornec wrote:

>> the 1792 engraved stone VD dial
>> on church in the village of Camburat, a silent
>witness to the capture of
>> Robespierre in 1794 prior to his execution by
>guillotine in Figac in 1794.
>>

>Robespierre was not captured in Camburat but
>overthrown in Paris and executed in Paris, not in
>Figeac.
>
>Jean-Paul Cornec

 Bon Jour Jean-Paul,

You are correct. The history books and encyclopedias record that
Robespierre was captured and executed in Paris and this ended the Reign of
Terror. I did not make up the story I told. It is recorded on the
information boards for tourists in village squares near Figeac (Camburat
and Cardaillac). A poor translation on my part? Perhaps. Je parle Francais
un peu. A local legend? Perhaps, encouraged by the local Syndicat
d'Initiative. In America all old inns carry on the legend that "George
Washington slept here".

Watch me. I am liable to invent more stories. Did you know that Roland's
famous sword, Durandal, stuck in a cleft in the rock at Rocamadour is
actually the gnomon for a vertically declining dial that the pilgrims used
as they climbed the steps to the Chapelle Notre-Dame on their knees. Did
you know that the scallop shell "Coquille St Jacques" worn by the pilgrims
on their way to Santiago is actually a portable sundial?* Did you know that
there are sundials on the pillars of the bridge at Cahors?**

There are many things to enjoy in France and many stories to tell about
what I did for my summer vacation.

A bientot,

Roger Bailey
N 51  W 115

* Check the Artisme catalogue
** Not on the classic Pont Valentre, the signature for Cahors, but the
N20-E09 viaduct over D27