Message text written by Patrick Powers
>I shall ask Chris Daniel (who is not a member of this list as far as I
know) about what he thinks the finish was on St Margaret's.<

Well, I did ask Chris Daniel about the St Margaret of Antioch dials and he
confirms that they were stove-enamelled - like my Morris Cowley mudguards
and not vitreously enamelled. This stove enamelling process gives a more
flexible finish but the colour is a fired paint and is not made from fused
glass particles and the paint is sprayed on using electrostatic attraction
to give better adhesion so, (as far as I understand things), you cannot
easily generate designs on the metal by this technique.  However, as we see
from St Margaret's, you can then apply size and then gold or platinum leaf
to the stove enamelled surface to provide necessary dial furniture.

Hmmm, I suppose that it might be possible to use masks and layers of
different colours and multiple firings to achieve a desired design because
my muguards had a grey undercoat as well as a later fired black top coat
and they didn't merge!. Might be worth considering when big dials are
involved - after all the St Margaret's dials are still going strong after
25 years - not bad for any dial finish.

Patrick