Dear Doug,

I am so riddled with prejudices about type-setting
equations, and mathematics in general, that it is
hard for me to give a temperate reply to your
enquiry...

> Material often comes ... in Word, and it seems
> that equations do not transfer reliably.

In my view, the Microsoft Equation Editor that
goes with Word is an utter abomination but I'll
end the rant there before I get carried away!

Again, in my view, Donald Knuth was the first
person really to understand the subtleties of
type-setting Mathematics and it took him about
10 years to come up with a definitive answer,
which is TeX and its derivatives.

In the TeXbook, Knuth goes into considerable
detail (albeit in a rather disconnected way)
about the way Mathematical type-setting using
hand-composition evolved over the centuries
and the subject has a fascinating history which
goes back to the earliest days of printing.

This doesn't address your friend's query and we
are indeed rather off topic but I share her
concern because Mathematics and Word don't mix
at all well.

Sundials are not merely precision astronomical
instruments; they should look good too.  So it
is with mathematics; every expression should be
type-set as elegantly as humanly possible.

Best wishes

Frank

No Microsoft products were used in the preparation
or dispatch of this message.