Word uses about the most non portable format you could
ever imagine, and there are actually some reasons for
that. In summary, many documents use a default font,
and when sent to another computer, that computer's
default fonts are often used. Tabs, and page setups
affect the layout, as does the choice of printer. What
is ported and what is not may depend on the version of
Word. Word, along with Microsoft are truly one of the
many mysteries of the universe.

Hence why I use acrobat distriller or whatever for my
default printer. If documents are to be transmitted,
then PDF is a better choice, and PDF documents are
capable of being edited, and exporting back to a word
processor. All my material is stored both in Word and
Acrobat forms, and for Word, I use .DOC or .RTF, I do
not use the latest options available, why create even
more problems.

These people  are using the wrong tool if portability
is desired, and any workarounds will generate new
problems.

Good luck.

Simon