From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On
Behalf Of Roger Bailey
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:47 PM
To: Sundial List
Subject: Most Valuable Sundial?

I happened to come across this obscure link to the Guinness Book of Records
for the "most valuable sundial".

http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_Most-valuable-sundial/blog/145878
5/7691.html

Perhaps, but define value. Is it cost? tons of bronze and gold plating, man
hour of construction? I think not. This sundial is a replica. Perhaps the
original was much more valuable, historically, culturally, scientifically.

Value is not the cost to reproduce. I have designed a sundial to reproduce
at a different location the famous sundial designed by Ibn Al Shatir in
Damascus in 1371, a complex sundial, the first sundial with a polar gnomon.
Mine is a fine sundial but the original is valuable.

Are there other nominations for the "most valuable sundial".

Regards, Roger Bailey

"Life's but a Walking Shadow....."