Dear All,

As is my four-yearly custom, I wish readers of
this list a Happy Leap Year Day.

I was delighted, in 2012, when I sent out a
similar greeting, that not a single reader
queried why I had sent out the message on
24 February.

I will add my four-yearly lament that the
perfectly good English term "bissextile year"
seems to be almost obsolete.  Around 100 years
ago it was in fairly common use.

I continue to applaud the French, the Italians
and the Portuguese (just to give three examples)
who still use année bissextile, anno bisestile
and ano bissexto.

Let us hope that they do not indulge in the
dumbing-down from which we in the U.K. seem
to suffer.

Frank King
Cambridge, U.K.