On 2017-02-18 10:07 AM, Douglas Bateman wrote:
Given that this group has experts on the calendar and the earth’s orbit, I have a couple of questions.

1. Assuming that I was living a 1000 years ago, and had unlimited time watching the sun and stars (and *without prior knowledge*) how would I notice that each year was growing by about a quarter of a day?

Are you talking about the quarter day drift that would happen without a system of leap years, and do you have a calendar of 365 days? In which case, the solstice dates would very obviously gradually migrate through the calendar - I day per 4 years (give or take an extra 11 days over a couple of millenia).

Steve