It doesn't seem genuine to me.

It isn't just that there doesn't seem to be a way of moving the upper end
of the string to the other latitude-marks. It's also that you can't just
change the angle of the gnomon, for a different latitude, and use the same
hour-lines.

So there seems to be no purpose for the latitude-marks on the inside of the
vertical,  piece--other than to make it look adjustable for latitude.

Michael  Ossipoff