Brad--

> If the inside surface is marked with the lines analogous to lines of
>  longitude on a globe spaced 15 degrees apart, radiating from the “pole” of
> the hemicyclium, and the entire device is tilted to align with the earth’s
> axis, would it then read out in Local True Solar Time?

Yes, the hour-lines would be exactly like the 15-degree meridian
longitude-lines of a globe. (plus whatever intermediate fractional-hour
lines).

It seems to me that, in the photos and drawings I've seen, both the
Hemicyclia and the Hemispheria had a horizontal flat top edge-surface. With
that bowl-edge horizontal, and with the stick-tip nodus at the same level
as that bowl-edge, the dial wIould tell time whenever the Sun is above the
horizon. (So do the Horizontal Dial, the Band-Equatorial, and lots of
others)

It also seems to me that, in the photos and drawings that I've seen, the
stick for the stick-end nodus was horizontal, sticking out so that its tip,
the nodus, is at the center of the bowl.

If you're sure you want the bigger task of a Hemicyclium instead of a
Band-Equatorial, then I'd use the traditional horizontal stick, with its
end (nodus) at the bowl's center.   ...instead of using a polar-parallel
gnomon.  Easier, for one thing, and more realistic, for a Hemicyclium or
Hemispherium.

Though the system of hour-lines should have its poles at the ends of an
imaginary line parallel with the Earth's axis (north-south, tipped up at
the north-end by an amount equal to your north-latitude), I'd just leave
the top-cut, bowl-edge horizontal, like the pictures that i've seen.
Anyway, if the surface that includes the bowl edge were tipped from the
horizontal, wouldn't that interfere with ensuring that the dial will tell
time whenever the Sun is above the horizon? I'd leave the bowl-top edge
horizontal. I think that's how Hemicyclia and Hemispheria always were.

I'd have declination-lines in the bowl, in addition to the hour-lines. Of
course the declination-lines would be exactly like the parallels on a globe.

People often mark declination-lines with the date. I'd have the lines
marked with declination-degrees as well.

In older centuries, they marked declination-lines with zodiac signs instead
of month-names. That made sense really, because the zodiac signs coincide
with exact solar ecliptic longitudes, corresponding to exact declinations
(if you disregard the small change-rate of the obliquity). But of course
nowadays the months are much more famiiar. But I'd mark the
declination-lines in degrees too.

That is my primary sticking point.  I’d prefer that than the ancient
Temporary hours.  It would seem it would be mathematically similar to a
section of an armillary sphere.

Yes, just maybe a more challenging construction than an Armillary
Band-Equatorial. The globe-meridian-like hour-lines would be more work than
the straight hour lines on a Band-Equatorial. But, with your metal-working
experience, you probably *want* something more challenging.

> With a proper adjustable mount, I can adjust for the longitude correction
> (I am currently about 4 degrees away from my nearest meridian) and DST
> twice a year as well.

Ok, but that seems unnecessary extra work, since the longitude-correction
could be added to EoT in your conversion-table plaque displayed near the
dial. Anyway, it seems more aesthetic for a dial to give Local True Solar
Time.

Interesting project. I once considered proposing a project of a brass
band-equatorial mounted in a concrete structure resembling a Hemicyclium.

The copper bowl will have a cool ancient look when it weathers.

Michael Ossipoff