I am not the first to observe that you can pick any arbitrary spot and declare
it to be the center of the universe.  I frequently argue that there is nothing
wrong with adopting a geocentric view for the purpose of understanding what we
see happen in the sky.  It is not actually “wrong”, even in an absolute sense.
It all depends on what you are want to do.

I was also interested to learn that the church did not try to prevent
astronomers from using a heliocentric system, which makes astronomical
predictions much more accurate and simplifies the calculation, as long as the
earth was still central for theological purposes.

As for the flat-earthers, I have always assumed that they just enjoy the idea
of pretending to believe something obviously absurd.  Or maybe it is fun to
actually believe something that contradicts all the physical evidence to the
contrary.  OTOH, I have come to see that there are a lot of politicians and
self-declared economists who seem to do the same thing.

Jack