Dear sundialists,
found the attached picture in an old archive and do not have any details
about it.
The dial shown seems to be somethig like a "bifilar sundial with three
straight wires". The wires obviously do not touch one another. The picture
was taken at the moment when all wire shadows cross in one point on the
dial face suggesting that the sundial  shows the time at that moment (and
any other?). There is no dial face visible. What kind of sun dial is that -
what could be the idea behind it and it´s purpose?
Is there anyboddy out threre who could answer the following questions and
can help me to solve my problem, i.e. clarify that sun dial:
- Has any one seen that picture before? If so, do you have any details
about it? Please let me know.
- The originator of that sun dial must have had some very special ideas
when constructing that sun dial. To the best of my knowledge a picture like
that where the shadows of three wires which do not touch one another,
mounted at different heights and angles across the face of the dial, cross
in one point on the face of the dial, can only be taken at at most 2 times
a year, each time at exactly the same solar time. Am I right or does there
realy exist something like a "trifilar sundial" as shown in the picture
idicating time over the year?
- Taking the sun dial shown to a singular, simplistic extreme: At whatever
angles or hights multiple wires might run across a dial and touch each
other at their crrossing point, the dial would simply work and could be
calculated taking the crossing / touching point as the tip of the gnomon,
the node of the dial. Correct?
- Does any one know wether H. Michnik, the inventor of the bifilar sun dial
and its theory in 1923,  has made any mathematical statement about
"multifilar sundails"?
Thank you for your help and
Kind Regards
Siegfried