I hate to ask the obvious, but are the actual audio drivers being
loaded and device nodes created?  Have you turned on audio in your
server policy?  Also, have you tried what Bob suggested above:

"Also, try running utaudio by hand - does it print out a device name?
Try setenv'ing AUDIODEV to that device name by hand, and then starting
up xmms or some sound application."

Kind regards,

John Francis