Backwards steps are where the money is, if a solution is cheap to buy,
implement and support, who is making money on that?

When a company the size of Oracle makes a decision, the reasoning is
rarely simple or even explainable. I think sometimes an idea from an
executive gathers momentum, and happens regardless of reasoning. I'd
like to see someone buy the Sun Ray stack, but not sure it'll happen.
I'm choosing to look at Axel thin clients instead.