It's pleasing to see the contribution from an oracle.com address Alan.

And I am sure a number of readers of the forum would be like a desert awaiting
a torrent of information from the Oracle source to clear up the questions that
have been posed since July this year from all around the globe.

Maybe take the opportunity to feed back into the Oracle funnels the input that
the brand with the user base has been greatly tarnished by a decision that was
not conducted on a community basis.

And the FUD resulting from this has escalated even into training sessions of
related products.

Trust. That's the core of the issue.

Not fancy, bling driven, consumerist technologies like pink plastic phones that
can connect to the latest HTML5 representation of big data dribble.

Trust. Because that's what an administrator relies upon with their user base of
hundreds to thousands of users.

Trust. Because the management want 5 years planning for the business and 10
years on non-repeated re-rollouts of updated Intel boxes.

Trust. Because the economy demands stability and not knee-jerk reactivity.

Trust. Because the security model is yet to be surpassed by other technologies
still to this day.

Yes tablets have a place as do other technologies. But not in the same way as
above.

When you fail to include the customer in the decision process the result is
distrust.

And a shy but recognisable turn away from the brand.

Sure, the marketing team have calculated the interim cost of the leaking bucket.

But the resellers affected will remember this for some time along with the
customers who trusted them.

All it takes is one small sentence in a sales cycle or cloud service from a
customer.

But Jeremy, do you trust them now ?

On 10/17/13 11:46 PM, Jeremy Stagg wrote:
> I've just come out of the ZFS/ZS3 training and learnt that SPARC may also be
> on
> the way out.

I don't think that's true at all, but if you'd like to ask, they've listed some
time for questions at tomorrows webcast on the release of the third new set of
SPARC servers this year (M6 now, after T5 & M5 in the spring):

http://event.on24.com/r.htm?e=693509&s=1&k=C6EEB12F285FAFB56E82CBBCECC3248A&partnerref=ocomservers

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-                        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com