I have used mutt with notmuch for ages and thought I would never switch
until I came across sup recently. (notmuch, by the way is a very
competent search mechanism - I believe there is even a mutt fork afoot
to integrate it more seamlessly into mutt).

sup does not back sync to maildir which for me should be a deal breaker
as I like using offlineimap/imapfilter to maintain persistent mail on my
desktop and laptop which allows me to peruse and respond to emails even
when I am not connected to the Internet.

Alas, I find sup so compelling a mail client that I am, for now, willing
to put up with that serious lack. There are sup forks I have been
looking into that appear to address this issue - but I am not sure if
anyone is going to spearhead taking sup over officially to merge the
work done in this area.

The heliotrope/turnsole project is still not ready for prime time
- beyond installation for me at least, the turnsole client crashes
a lot.  Even then, I am not sure if heliotrope will address the maildir
back sync issue (there is an imaptrope fork which may address this). If
it doesn't, it may not provide me with any benefit towards my offline
mail usage.

Like earlier posts, sup's tagging, smart conversation view (with only
unread messages expanded - I am not sure if even Google's web gmail
interface offers that) and facility to auto archive
threads/folders/whatever rules you wish, just makes the email process
more compelling and effective (for me) by eliminating inbox noise.

The big back sync issue, however, does mean sup is non-destructive, so
is worth a look if you are one of those people who is forever looking
for the perfect email client (that sucks less :-) mutt will stay on my
system if sup's maildir deficiency becomes intolerable - for now,
I foresee using it to periodically prune and manage my maildirs.

Steven
--
"Truth or die."

Steven Hum