nosh is now up to version 1.14

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh.html

These particular changelog entries are a big deal for Debian Linux.

* The previous regular sockets, sysinit services, and standard targets packages are now all merged into the bundles package. * There is now a new user VT package that runs new-style user VT services. * There is now a new kernel VT package that runs old-style kernel VT services. * The nosh-systemd-services package now automatically runs various nosh subsystems under systemd.

I've taken the list of Debian packages available for download off the infobox at the side of the blurb page and set up a page devoted specifically to the Debian packages, explaining what they contain and are for in more detail than could fit into that infobox.

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh/debian-binary-packages.html

There's a known bug that I'm working on. Because the preset conversion is a little too aggressive, and because getttynam() exists on Debian Linux, you'll currently need a dummy BSD /etc/ttys file that presets the ttylogin@.service services that you want. Something like:

    tty1 /bin/false linux on secure
    tty5 /bin/false linux on secure
    tty7 /bin/false linux off secure
    vc0-tty /bin/false linux on secure
    vc1-tty /bin/false linux on secure
    vc2-tty /bin/false linux on secure

Those "vcN-tty" lines are user-mode virtual terminals. As you can probably work out from this, on the BSD side the nosh user-mode virtual terminal system is able to pull terminal login service enable/disable information from the existing /etc/ttys configuration mechanism. (It also can pull from /etc/rc.conf and does "onifconsole" too.)

The list of 157 things that I have to convert in order to fully replace BSD /etc/rc.d is discussed in detail on the FreeBSD Hackers mailing list. We have long since passed the point where it's possible to have an entirely nosh-managed FreeBSD/PC-BSD system, though. The list of things that I have to convert before I can likewise run my Debian Linux system fully under the nosh system-manager is down to about a handful, and is mainly the likes of service bundles for dbus and udev. If you already have daemontools-style run scripts for those, or eudev, or mdev, or whatever you enjoy, then you can race ahead of me. (-:

The page also warns about the nosh-bundles package potentially enabling a lot of services. It's a package of over 400 service bundles. One way of avoiding this is to go the only-enable-what-I-permit route, and use this 99-default.preset:

    disable *.service
    disable *.socket

With something like this 00-administrator.preset alongside:

    enable    cyclog@acpid.service
    enable    cyclog@atd.service
    enable    cyclog@console-fb-realizer@*.service
    enable    cyclog@console-multiplexor@*.service
    enable    cyclog@gnucron.service
    enable    cyclog@kerneloops.service
    enable    cyclog@ModemManager.service
    enable    cyclog@NetworkManager.service
    enable    cyc...@org.cups.cups*.service
    enable    cyclog@polkitd.service
    enable    cyclog@terminal-emulator@*.service
    enable    cyclog@ttylogin@*.service
    enable    cyclog@update-binfmts.service
    enable    cyclog@wpa_supplicant.service
    enable    acpid.service
    enable    atd.service
    enable    console-fb-realizer@*.service
    enable    console-multiplexor@*.service
    enable    gnucron.service
    enable    kerneloops.service
    enable    ModemManager.service
    enable    NetworkManager.service
    enable    org.cups.cups*.service
    enable    polkitd.service
    enable    terminal-emulator@*.service
    enable    ttylogin@*.service
    enable    update-binfmts.service
    enable    wpa_supplicant.service

Adjust according to taste, of course. Mine also enables various additional service bundles including dnscache, tinydns, http6d, rabbitmq-server, and epmd (and their concomitant logging services) for example.