I'm the maintainer of the FreeBSD suphp port (ports/www/suphp).  I do
not use Apache 1.x, thus I cannot test suPHP on that platform.  As you
probably found, the port explicitly has Apache 2.x as a requirement.
Are you willing to work with me to try and get it working on 1.x?

Also, are you using Apache 1.3.41 from ports (ports/www/apache13)?