On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Aki Tuomi wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:33:42PM +0000, Dave Kennard wrote:
>>
>>    Hi
>>    I want to set the user's folder as their root directory, so I have my
>>    suPHP settings like this:
>>    ;Path all scripts have to be in
>>    docroot=${HOME}
>>    ;Path to chroot() to before executing script
>>    chroot=${HOME}
>>    ;Check wheter script is within DOCUMENT_ROOT
>>    check_vhost_docroot=false
>>    But then when I load a php page I get the error "Internal Server Error
>>    - Could not execute script" (I have set suPHP to show errors in the
>>    browser).
>>    If I comment out chroot or change it to / then it works okay.
>>    suPHP is in paranoid mode, and I am setting SuPHP_UserGroup in the
>>    virtualhost configuration.
>>    I just installed php5-cgi normally, I didn't compile it with the
>>    --enable-discard-path option, could this be the problem, or am I doing
>>    something else wrong?
>>    Thanks
>>    Dave
>
> Is your chroot set-up properly. PHP won't run in chroot if you don't
> have all the libraries etc. it needs to perform. Check apache error log
> and suphp log.

I vaugely wonder if it might make sense to statically compile your PHP
binary for this.  Anyone here know how that would make things
better/worse?

(it's a simple configure option to do so).

-Dan

--

"If you need web space, give him a hard drive.  If you need to do something
really heavy, build him a computer."

-Ilzarion, late friday night