Dear Winston,

I did not get email attachment, can you please resend it so I understand what
is wrong in you setup.

I do not recommend to use white balance for image matching - you may set it
once, then store settings so the camera will next time boot with the same
settings - this is what we do for such applications.

The autoexposure daemon is designed to operate independently - in panoramic
applications cameras pointed in different directions may need very different
exposure. If autoexposure is unstable you probably just need to modify
settings, because the goal of the autoexposure algorithm may be different. In
you case you probably have some bright electrical light that fools the camera.

Here is generally how algorithm works: it maintains exposure so only a certain
fraction of all pixels will have value above a certain value. For the normal
good quality outdoor image the fraction of overexposed is set to a very small
value (like 99.2% pixels should have <=250 of 255 value). Such combination
provide good quality images if there are no bright lights (or sun reflections)
in the FOV. If there are some, you may want to reduce required "good" (not
overexposed) pixels to say 98% or 95%, possibly simultaneously reducing the
required level. There are illustrations on the wiki:
https://wiki.elphel.com/wiki/Autoexposure .

That will make the camera ignore larger bright lights/reflection and eliminate
exposure fluctuations.

On the other hand exposure settings as well as gain settings are included in
each frame Exif header, so the post-processing software can eliminate influence
of the exposure/gains and gamma correction. When we process jp4 images in
ImageJ plugin
(https://git.elphel.com/Elphel/imagej-elphel/blob/master/src/main/java/JP46_Reader_camera.java
 ), the first step is that the JP4 image from the camera is converted to a
floating-point data with linear intensity scale (gamma conversion is undone),
and each color gain is reversed too, providing data close to what sensor would
provide with the same gain settings. Exposure value is also available, so it is
possible to divide these linear-scaled image by the exposure value to
compensate variations - that will help image matching.

Andrey

---- On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:54:12 -0800 Winston
Zhang<winston.zh...@blacksesame.com.cn> wrote ----

    Hello
       Thank you for your patient to answer my question. But I have some others
as follow.
  1)    How should I make the left and right camera AWB change synchronously?
The left camera image color is very different with right camera image color.
Please look at the last email attachment. I followed your advices, and set the
WB_EN=0 and GAINR/GAING/GAINB = some value, and made the left and right camera
image WB very close. But it just applies only to one situation. If I change the
ambient lighting brightness, the GAINR/GAING/GAINB value should be set again.
  2)    How should I make the left and right camera exposure change
synchronously? The left and right camera exposure at different time and cause
the image brightness different. So, if I capture the same timestamp frames, the
frames brightness are so different. I want to do some stereo-match work, but
all of these get me into trouble.

 Best Regrad!
 Yicheng-Zhang
 Email:  winston.zh...@blacksesame.com.cn