From: Scott Ullrich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 July 2005 00:15
To: alan walters
Cc: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] carp array

On 7/15/05, alan walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have a present firewall that we want to redunently backup.
>
> I have reviewed some of the information but am a little confused about how
> we could deploy this.
>

> Our configureation is as follows
>

>             Primary
>                     backup
>

> Wan1                wan2(opt1)                                Wan1
> wan2(opt1)
>

> Lan       DMZ(opt2)   opt3(carp)                opt3(carp)         LAN
> DMZ(opt2)
>

> Would switches be placed in front of wan1 and wan2 and then linked to
> primary and backup firewalls?

http://www.pfsense.com/tutorials/carp/carp_cluster.htm goes over this
in detail (with pictures!)

> Can I sync the entire system across this??

Can you provide failover services?  Yes.  Take a look at
http://www.pfsense.com/tutorials/carp/carp_cluster.htm

> Would the hardware need to be identical
No.   I use a Nexcom appliance currently as my primary firewall and a
soekris 4501 as a backup.  Works great.

> Any thoughts on how this configuration would best be deployed.
http://www.pfsense.com/tutorials/carp/carp_cluster.htm has the low down.

Scott