On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 06:21 -0600, Randy B wrote:
> > I got to this point just running about 500 requests/sec  in apache
> > benchmark.  No keepalive.
> >

> Strike me as inexperienced here, but wouldn't you want to tweak PF a bit
> for your environment?  Did you try the "Firewall Optimization Options"
> and set it to aggressive?

Right.

I tried "aggressive"  - the effect is similar.

I should clarify once again - I do not need 500 requests/sec  I would be
quite fine even with 100 req/sec at this point.

The problem is what happens to the box with such load - after couple of
minutes of intensive load  the CPU drops to zero and there is 20-30 sec
+  of total inactivity  (watching vmstat)   -  this leads to very large
response times for some requests  - in apache benchmark, or if I'd like
to refresh status page on pfsense.

> Methinks one would have a firewall set up differently when putting it in
> front of a large webserver as opposed to fronting a SOHO network, which
> is what most of us have

Right.   I know SOHO market will get more users than what I'm trying to
do :)