[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Bio-diesel is 10 times more carcinogenic than low sulphur diesel,
>exhaust fumes smell like oily chips and running costs are inflated,
>says Volvo.
>Responding to a report by the British Association of Bio Fuels, which
>promoted the fuel as the 'fuel of the future' Volvo claims Bio-diesel
>is dirtier, smellier and less fuel efficient than low sulphur diesel,
>and engines are more costly to maintain.
>
>Despite the move by the Government in the recent Budget to make the
>cost of Bio-diesel 20p per litre less than low sulphur diesel, Volvo
>believes that fleets should think carefully before encouraging its
>drivers to top up with Bio-diesel.
>
>"The most alarming statistic from recent Swedish research says Bio-
>diesel emissions are 10 times more carcinogenic than standard low
>sulphur diesel used in Sweden. Tailpipe emissions of 'smog forming'
>oxides of nitrogen can be up to 40 per cent higher than diesel
>engines. Combine that with a 10 per cent drop in performance and fuel
>consumption when running on pure rape seed oil, the fact your car
>exhaust will constantly smell like oily chips and the fuel's poor low
>temperature performance and the future of Bio-diesel looks grim," a
>Volvo spokesman said.

Damn - this Jim Olssen BS again. Aren't we ever going to get rid of
this junk science? That's what happens when you burn the stuff in a
frying pan, not quite the same thing as under compression in a diesel
motor. But Jim just won't see it that way (maybe because it might fry
his career - well, so what, who'd cry?).

It caused a big fuss at the time, when part of the report of Olssen's
"study" was reported by Reuters. He blamed Reuters, but they weren't
at fault, it was the study itself that was junk.

Terry De Winne was involved in trying to get the guy to see some
reason. This is what he said later:

"... point out that a basic
principle of common sense (a commodity also applied to science experiments)
dictates that you cannot compare like with unlike.

"I drew Jim Olssen's attention to nitro-glycerine (what not to do with your
excess glycerol) and suggested that I should visit him, bringing with me two
flasks of the substance.  We would carry out two experiments.

"In the first, I would pour the NG on to his bench and set light to it.  He
would see that it burnt, giving off a black, oil smoke.

"In the second, I would drop the flask on to the floor.  If we survived, we
would then compare the smoke emissions of the two experiments and see how
different they were.

"The disturbing thing was, he took me seriously!"

Sums it up, I think!

And no, Tim, not corraborated, unless you too would like to burn some
rapeseed oil in a frying pan.

I'll forward this to Jenna Higgins at the NBB, who'll take some
action (I've done this before...).

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever